An Idea That Apparently Is Too Hard To Grasp For Some Patnetters

2022 Apr 29, 4:10pm   1,597 views  125 comments

by cisTits   ➕follow (4)   💰tip ($0.37 in tips)

TOk, tell me how this doesn't work.

Note: That means you have to actually fucking read through this and familiarize yourself with the details. Don't post critiques that only prove that you didn't do so. I will rip you a new asshole if you do.

But otherwise...rip away:

Can't wait until someone figures out a way to get people to rent their ADUs out to a firm that then sublets it to 50+ remote workers. That way, they can all say they work in Palo Alto, etc, pay CA income taxes...the works. They have official residence status and get paid Cali wages. But the ADU won't be physically used except on a first-come-first-served basis for when any of those subletters have to actually show up for one of the times they have to be in town. And it is not like the neighbors will notice this and complain to authorities, like they occasionally do when they notice apartments have 8 people living in them. There will only be one or maybe two people staying at the ADU at any given time, as is legal to do.

I would pay $300/month for that. Esp if I moved to a no-income tax state.

$300/month for 50 subletters = $15,000/month for the ADU. I am surprised homeowners haven't set up an LLC to do just that with their ADUs.

Again, before some of you pick holes in nothing because you didn't pay attention to the above details (which are everything):

ADU owner 'rents out' his unit to an LLC/Corp entity. Esp an out-of-state one, preferably. That firm then sublets the flying fuck out of it to 50+ remote workers. Think of this as sort of like a remote worker AirBnB. It's like a timeshare, where if the subletters want to actually use it, then they have to reserve it and pay a cleaning fee, etc to use it for a short period of time. All reserved up so other subletters can't use it when they want to? Easy, they go to Motel 6 while in town. Early bird gets the fucking worm, assholes!

This way the unit is legally rented out to one tenant as far as what the homeowner is on the hook to report or care about, technically. Even if the homeowner owns the tenant legal entity.

I suppose that the State would figure out that 50+ people 'live' there because of what they report on their tax forms and driver licenses, etc. But apartments with 10+ people also show up in those records (migrants...both legal and illegal) and they don't give a fuck about that.

Any other holes in this?

« First    « Previous    Comments 94 - 125 of 125

94   just_passing_through   2022 May 1, 9:26am

WineHorror1 says
I can see rent control becoming a real thing all over if the only alternative is massive homelessness.

Which will only serve to make the problems worse.
95   HeadSet   2022 May 1, 9:48am

RWSGFY says

Aren't there laws regulating how many people can legally live in a unit of a certain size?

In Prince William County, VA (DC suburb) a judge struck down such a law when it was applied to 14 non-related folks renting a 3-bedroom townhouse. Law was racist against illegals, you know.
96   GNL   2022 May 1, 9:57am

You all have no answers? If you think voters are going to stand for mass homelessness, you're smoking crack. If it gets worse, you should expect anything to happen.
97   Rin   2022 May 1, 10:06am

Misc says

As the property owner would be in on the scam, they could be liable for fraud, conspiracy to commit fraud, and since most paychecks are electronic, conspiracy to commit wire fraud. Since the number of charges brought against the property owner would depend on the number of renters, it could be a lengthy prison sentence as well as restitution to the aggrieved employers.

So wouldn't all those mailstop businesses, like Mailboxes etc, the UPS store, etc, also be a part of scam where a person has a residence but it's really just a mail stop with a suite no?

I mean when I was a globe trekker, I used a mailstop just outside of Boston & I paid the owner, to get my mail forwarded to various hotels around the continent. Otherwise, I'd have an overflowing mailbox at home which would pretty much tip off any burglar, that the resident was 'on the road' and not at home.
98   RWSGFY   2022 May 1, 10:08am

HeadSet says

RWSGFY says

So it might meet the same fate in CA.
99   just_passing_through   2022 May 1, 10:22am

Rin says

I'm curious how that worked out with junk mail. Do you even get that crap at a mailstop and if so did they forward it?
100   cisTits   2022 May 1, 10:31am

Tenpoundbass says

I actually understand what you're trying to do better than you do. You just don't want to hear why it would fail. Why didn't you just write your post and implore everyone to kiss your ass... "Clap Please!" sorta of your Jeb Bush moment, isn't it?

Just cut the bullshit. Want me to quote your 'remote access in a shed' crap?

I just don't want to hear any more of YOUR half-assed crap since you destroyed your credibility on the subject.
101   cisTits   2022 May 1, 10:32am

Tenpoundbass says
Anyone that needs to rent my mailbox to defraud employers in San Francisco,

There is no fraud involved. Cut the bullshit.
102   cisTits   2022 May 1, 10:37am

Misc says
The only difficulty I see is if the employer found out about the scam.

That's right. Nor would it be fraud. And even if so, the landlord would not be on the hook.
103   cisTits   2022 May 1, 10:59am

RWSGFY says
"Strictly above board" and "not enforced proactively" are two different things.

FJB

ignore

So what?
104   GNL   2022 May 1, 11:05am

HunterTits says

Misc says
The only difficulty I see is if the employer found out about the scam.

If a court found fraud, just who would be considered the perp?
105   just_passing_through   2022 May 1, 11:07am

HunterTits says
So what?

Asphinctersayswhat?
106   Misc   2022 May 1, 1:22pm

Rin says

Misc says

You were not lying to someone for financial gain.

In the case presented the employee is making false and misleading statements to his employer for a financial gain --- hence fraud.

Since the landlord would be in on the scam (if not actively recruiting for it), there would be conspiracy to commit fraud.
107   Rin   2022 May 1, 1:45pm

Misc says

You were not lying to someone for financial gain.

Here's the thing ... what prevents someone from starting his own mailstop business at home, an LLC with general liability insurance, but then add an AirBnB add-on as a benefit to being a customer? In other words, a B&B timesharer where one gets one's mail. Since the average person won't pay the extra price if he's just looking for a UPS mailstop, this may be a feasible way to attract the right customer.

Realize, not all businesses have to be in the town center next to the library or market deli.

Now, is it fraud that some Indiana person wants to spend a week in California & get his mail there? Hell, even I might go for it if seeing hoes were legal in California.

FJB says

He put everything in a pouch and sent it. I simply paid for the bag and postage as extras.
108   NuttBoxer   2022 May 2, 9:43am

The idea of having a ghost address is a service that already exists, though I don't know there are a lot ghost address vendors. But you could use one of those instead, and as they're started specifically to offer privacy, I think they'd be better equipped to protect your info than someone renting an ADU. Then just add a VPN and you're all set.

The cost for ghost address service is quite a bit cheaper than $300 a month, maybe a hundred a year.
109   GNL   2022 May 2, 11:29am

NuttBoxer says

Huh, yeah, why would you need an ADU? Anyone could offer this service from their own home. As long as you don't advertise the purpose it to commit fraud?
110   Tenpoundbass   2022 May 2, 1:08pm

HunterTits says
Just cut the bullshit. Want me to quote your 'remote access in a shed' crap?

At least you can quote me, and I'll either stand by it, say I misspoke or apologize for the lack of clarity.
While YOU on the other hand go back and make edits after the fact, then try to retrofit them into the argument.
111   cisTits   2022 May 2, 1:31pm

Tenpoundbass says
At least you can quote me, and I'll either stand

Here's your fucking quote:

Tenpoundbass says
...you say you would put remote access in the ADU(from what I found that's a shed or a detached dwelling

Tenpoundbass says

I can't edit your shit. Nice try.
112   cisTits   2022 May 2, 1:36pm

WineHorror1 says

Yup. Could use a duplex or a condo, too.
113   cisTits   2022 May 2, 1:47pm

Misc says

So? How Is the landlord culpable for that.

Guess what address on file I have with my employer?

A UPS mailstore box. It is because I moved around a lot and wanted a secure place to receive my packages, originally.

Now I use it for financial/government shit. Hell, even the DMV accepted it.

And if they took issue with that, they'd go after me, not the UPS store.

Three other ppl at work live in other parts of CA. They rent a house for when they have to shoe up in Palo Alto for mandatory mtgs/events/etc. If my employer has an issue, they do not go after the landlord who has zero relationship with their tenant's employers anymore than the UPS Store does in my case.

Even if a person runs an outright mail order scam from a UPS store or POB, for example, the store is not liable.

And there is no fraud if the requirement from the employer is that the employee's state of residence is in California and the employee comes into work physically as required abd said employee complies, which is the case as planned.

So, no fraud UNLESS the employer requires a sworn affidavit from the employee that sez they are not doing this shit explicitly but do.

Oh, and the State will not only not be against any of this, but encourage it.

It is the state where the 'second' home is that will have the problem, if any. But they would have a tough case law hill to climb.
114   NuttBoxer   2022 May 2, 2:40pm

WineHorror1 says
As long as you don't advertise the purpose it to commit fraud?

Important piece to understand when having this kind of discussion. Giving out a fake home address is legal as long as the intent is not to defraud anyone. There multiple court cases that support this.
115   GNL   2022 May 2, 3:40pm

NuttBoxer says

WineHorror1 says
As long as you don't advertise the purpose it to commit fraud?

Yeah, I'm 50/50 on this idea.

Is there anyone here that would actually start a business doing this? If so, how sure are you that it would pass the liability test?
116   Rin   2022 May 3, 4:16pm

NuttBoxer says

The question is whether or not a sublet to a time sharer is not a legal address?

Sorry to hearken back to the O.J, Simpson trial, but wasn't Kato Kaelin more or less a squatter at the house, which is why he was asked to testify? And then the joke was that Judge Lance Ito wouldn't let Kato sleep in the courtroom since he didn't have a permanent address.
117   WookieMan   2022 May 3, 4:56pm

Rin says

That's the biggest problem in my mind. You need to change your drivers license. If you don't, you're defrauding the government (whatever) and there are consequences for that. It's a grey area.

I'd just move and make the same elsewhere to be honest. Or change careers. That's another fault I find with the idea is that you can't live/buy cheaper and still make the same income. We would make less in CA and pay more COL versus IL. We're not in tech though.
118   NuttBoxer   2022 May 3, 5:51pm

WookieMan says

Not true. People who have stalkers, and LEO's don't have their home address on their ID's. Again, if the purpose is privacy, there are several court cases supporting our rights.
119   Eric Holder   2022 May 3, 6:01pm

NuttBoxer says

They probably obtain a court decision allowing them to do that.

For the rest of us:

... failing to update a license or registration is actually a crime in most states. Generally, the crime is a misdemeanor (punishable by less than a year in jail) and/or fines. Of course, the harshest of these penalties are rarely imposed absent blatant and knowing disregard of the law, but best not to chance fate.

So not strictly legal, albeit lightly enforced.
120   NuttBoxer   2022 May 3, 6:34pm

Let me refer you to case 94-5721, United State Court of Appeals. If there is no intent to deceive and no benefit is obtained, it's legal.

Further, how can someone prove it's not your address? It can be done, but will take some effort. So again, if you're not defrauding anyone, unlikely it will ever come up.
121   WookieMan   2022 May 3, 6:40pm

NuttBoxer says

Hiding your physical address 9 out of 10 times is to defraud someone. Set up a trust with a title company for ownership if privacy is of concern. Former boss did that so tenants couldn't search "John Doe's" address and find him.

Either way, if you want to live a fun life, I'd skip out on being anal about privacy. You're a known commodity. Trust me.
122   NuttBoxer   2022 May 3, 7:23pm

I'm not defrauding anyone, and I've been doing it for years now. It actually increases my enjoyment of life, because I know no one will ever show up at my door un-announced, because they can't find it. I can't be easily sued, falsely accused of a crime, or stalked by some random psycho who doesn't like how I drive.

You're welcome to post any info you can find about me here in this thread. Good luck.
123   cisTits   2022 May 13, 3:22pm

WookieMan says
Hiding your physical address 9 out of 10 times is to defraud someone.

No it is not. Show us the law or legal case law that says otherwise.
124   Patrick   2022 May 13, 3:30pm

NuttBoxer says

WookieMan says

@NuttBoxers What do you do about the driver's license address?

Is the address present on yours or not?
125   cisTits   2022 May 13, 4:33pm

Patrick says
@NuttBoxers What do you do about the driver's license address?

Is the address present on yours or not?

CA gave me the option of putting my mailing address or physical address on my driver's license last time I renewed.

« First    « Previous    Comments 94 - 125 of 125

Please register to comment:

about   best comments   contact   latest images   memes   one year ago   random   suggestions