I have a friend who drives a Tesla ... I say 'so what?!'

By Rin following x   2018 Aug 20, 1:52pm 1,733 views   48 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

As you know, I'm semi-retired from hedge fund work. I now consult back to my old firm, in return for free livery & lodging, wherever I go, advocating for my firm.

In the past few years, I have a friend with a wife and kids, and he bought himself a Tesla. And realize, this guy doesn't have enough money saved for his kids' college a/o medical/grad school educations. In other words, he's pulled from his potential eggs nest, to enjoy himself today.

Ok, the car makes no noise on the road and looks sporty ... but so what?

In contrast, I'm being driven around, in a back of a limo, reading/studying or watching some videos. I get to relax and let someone else take me around, picking up specialty foods from all different shops across New England, while my friend who's "trendy", gets to be like everyone else, stuck in traffic, getting from point A to point B.

Seriously, I don't get it.

« First    « Previous    Comments 9 - 48 of 48    Last »

9   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 20, 6:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MrMagic says
Rin says

Why is it HIS responsibility to pay for THEIR college degrees?

Tell that to the wife and kids. I'm not his financial adviser.

I believe many schools, esp med schools, expect the parents to submit their financial statements in search of financial aid.
10   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Aug 20, 6:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

Of course they do, otherwise what kid will get approved for a $200K college loan on his part time job at Walmart.

It's the parents that are the idiots today to sign for these loans.
11   Reality   ignore (5)   2018 Aug 20, 7:21pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin is setting himself up to be mugged, murdered and/or target of taxation / revolutionary confiscation, given that he has no kids and nobody to pass the money to or even administer the money if/when he is incapacitated. Be very careful the hoes you see are not run by pimps with bigger ambitions. Also make sure your driver is trust-worthy.

Whereas this guy mentioned by Joshuatrio (and Rin's friend to a less degree) are doing the logically correct financial planning: their kids' college education will be paid for by Rin, assuming Rin is not mugged, murdered or confiscated (via taxation or revolution) by the time their kids go to college.
12   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Aug 20, 7:40pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz_music says
You enjoy sex with a lot of different beauty models too don't you?

Who wouldn't?
13   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Aug 20, 7:47pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

Ok, the car makes no noise on the road and looks sporty ... but so what?

Seriously, I don't get it.

It's not just the cars. People spend money on almost everything they cannot afford. Homes, cars, vacations, entertainment etc. Life is good when you have a credit card.
As they say....."People buy things they cannot afford, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like"
14   Evan F.   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 20, 8:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says
Seriously, I don't get it.

Well, he's your friend. Why don't you ask him? Lol
15   Hircus   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 20, 8:38pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My coworker looted his 401k (I think 20k) so they could remodel their bathroom...

Part of me wanted to explain how much less his net worth would be at retirement age due to that move, but why rub his nose in his own shit?
16   Reality   ignore (5)   2018 Aug 20, 8:57pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The lessons of Zimbabwe, South Africa and Venezuela (along with numerous 20th century precedences) shows that just because your name is on an account or on a piece of property, doesn't mean you own it unless you and your family can defend it; as a corollary, If you are a highly productive person, it is your responsibility to raise highly productive next generation and teach them how to shoot vermin. Otherwise, your productivity and accumulated wealth would be like leaving food out in the open all over the house (instead putting them in solid containers): rewarding and inducing rat and roach infestation.
17   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 21, 5:06pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Reality says

Hate to say it but more and more kids are becoming like Eric Cartman (of South Park), even from productive households.
18   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 21, 5:37pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says

Credit cards are the devil to most people. They're my dream come true. I won't pay for a domestic or North American international flight in my life again. That includes the wife and 2 kids. I will NOT pay interest either. Paid off every month. Credit card companies hate me and my wife bigly.
19   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 21, 5:38pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
I will NOT pay interest either. Paid off every month.

I believe that that's using a credit card as a charge card.
21   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 21, 6:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
I will NOT pay interest either. Paid off every month.

I believe that that's using a credit card as a charge card.

True. Either way, I'm getting $5-7k a year depending on where I'm going and how often. Just for using the card. Not a ton of money, but when you figure it's tax free the true value is closer to $10-12k based on my federal & state taxes. I ain't complaining.
22   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 21, 7:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

Missed this originally. I assume you'd agree with this, but if you don't enjoy yourself today, when will you?

If the dude legit doesn't have money to retire at or around SS age, then sure, that's fucked up. At the end of the day though we all die and it doesn't really matter. Have fun while you're doing this as much as you can. We've got multi-millionaire, famous people dropping like flies to suicide. Enjoy what you have, cause money doesn't always make it better.

Rin says
Eventually, sex robots will replace hoes altogether.

I find this utterly impossible. Robots will replace the dudes that were too chicken shit to get hoes, girlfriends, wives, etc. or didn't have the money. These guys weren't going to the real hoes in the first place. Whether you marry one or pay one, a real woman cannot be replaced by a robot in my opinion.
23   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Aug 21, 7:19pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
Strategist says

Yup. That's the way to do it. I have:
1. Credit card....5% rebate on groceries and gas.
2. Costco Visa...2% rebate from Costco purchases. 3% travel. 3% restaurants.
3. Mastercard.....2% rebate on everything, towards a car purchase.
4. Credit Card.....0% interest on $20,000 for 16 months.
Monthly credit card purchases are between $5,000 to $10,000. Includes frequent travel.
I love my credit card rebates, but still hate the banks. :)
24   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Aug 21, 7:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
Rin says
Eventually, sex robots will replace hoes altogether.

He's right Rin. Sex robots are not a substitute for a real, wet, fully aroused pussy on the verge of an orgasm. Sex robots are just masturbation.
25   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 21, 7:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says

It can still be hoes for sure. A robot cannot replace even a hoe hookup or a casual hookup in the same way though. Each session is different. Not sure how even the most advanced robot can accomplish that.

@Strategist going all 50 shades on us. Good stuff.
26   Reality   ignore (5)   2018 Aug 21, 7:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

That's usually the result of having only 1 child and lacking manly father figure in the child's life. Kids growing up with proper father figures and siblings (especially those with younger siblings) turn out quite well.
27   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 21, 8:14pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says
My friend just raided his and his wife's 401k and inheritance from parents, and bought a house with shady financing and a $4600/mo payment, plus school loans, and two $500/mo car payments.

His kids are 12, 10 and 6.

Damn that sounds irresponsible. I’m guessing he makes a 6 digit salary.
28   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Aug 21, 9:00pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Reality says

It also means all the promises of Diversity don't mean shit. If you become the minority and give up power, you're doomed.
29   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (35)   2018 Aug 21, 11:46pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

For what you'd spend on a Tesla, you could buy 500 police auction specials like my 1981 Olds Cutless. No glass on the passenger side, peeling half vinyl roof, secured by chain wrapped around the steering wheel and brake and accelerator pedals, not that anyone would steal it.

MPG and time-to-charge can suck my dick.

I'll drive it until fire is coming up through the floor like the last one.

There's a word for people who spend more than $300 for a car: assholes.
30   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (35)   2018 Aug 21, 11:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yeah, and the charger for my R520m still works in the cigarette lighter.

Chicks seeing me cruising by in my economically rational automobile, digging the scene and talking on my antique cell phone typically grab their crotches, sniff their palms and announce, 'I'M FUCKING! WET!' and try to jump in through the windowless passenger door.

That's what transportation is all about!
31   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 22, 12:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

IHLlary has destroyed dozens of Teslas using them to recharge her knobby vibrators while on the road. However, the vibrators could do 0-60 in 0.5 seconds.
32   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 22, 2:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
1981 Olds Cutless.

AF, someone might have sold you an imitation Cutlass. You know what to do next.
33   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 22, 5:50am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says
WookieMan says
Rin says
Eventually, sex robots will replace hoes altogether.

Many moons ago, Bill Gates dreamed of a PC per household. My dream is a realistic sex robot for every man.

34   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 22, 5:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Reality says

Here's the Columbine shooter's mother on a Ted Talk. Looks like they had a husband/wife situation but still failed ...

35   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 22, 6:46am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

Damn that sounds irresponsible. I’m guessing he makes a 6 digit salary.

$90k/yr. His wife earns slightly less than him. She told him to get a second job.
36   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 22, 6:50am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says
I have a friend who drives a Tesla ... I say 'so what?!'

I'd say, if it doesn't bother you on some level, you wouldn't write about it. And also, you wouldn't need to tell us that you ride around in limos. Just sayin'.
37   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 22, 8:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

Rin, I hear you about the whole bot thing, but will it feel the same? Smell the same? I imagine it could be like having sex with an appliance which doesn't sound exciting.
38   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 22, 8:17am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says

wtf? $90,000 a year?

That guy is insane to have that type of monthly expense on that salary.
39   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Aug 22, 8:23am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

Hey, but appliances don't tire out or get headaches.

40   CBOEtrader   ignore (2)   2018 Aug 22, 8:24am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says
joshuatrio says

wtf? $90,000 a year?

That guy is insane to have that type of monthly expense on that salary.

Double that w his wife's. Still pushing it, but lower income people are stretching more.

I know late 20 early 30 somethings in Chicago who make 50k/yr, and live in 2200/month apartments. Ya know, cause being cool is worth eating ramen into your 30's
41   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 22, 8:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin,

what did you think of this video from TGS 2018 in Japan?
42   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Aug 22, 8:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

A lot of these people also vote for Democrats and higher taxation as well.
43   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 22, 8:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

Me neither...I just don't fly anywhere.
44   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 22, 3:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says

This whole thing is about the so-called hedonic threadmill where buying that { Tesla, Porsche, Maserati, etc } wears itself out after a very short period of time.

In the end, he goes right back to his wage slave lifestyle, only gaining a momentary lapse of joy in spinning around in a noiseless car which is the talk of the EV world!

On the other foot, my livery service allows me to enjoy those Ipswich clams with a drink, while being driven in comfort, listening to a lecture or reading a book. At the same time, while I'm up north, I don't have to deal with the snow in Montreal, as my driver, Ives Gauthier (OK, that was a stereotype of a Quebecois name) takes me directly from the airport to hotel room w/ little contact with the snow. And in Boston, I don't have to deal with the endless gridlock while I'm at home. These are all functional and utilitarian purposes which yes, does make me happy. And since it's expensed, it doesn't affect my bottom line.

This is what the Rin-Wah way is suppose to be ...

Enjoy the sites and sensations ...

And some Rock 'n Roll ...

I don't get tired of the above.
45   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 22, 4:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

I have more faith in science than you.

Goran_K says

Actually, most male sex toys prior to RealDoll were like appliances. And thus, in many ppl's heads, that's the common long term perception. And sure, in 2020, it'll still be crude but that's a given with a new technology. But what about 2030 & beyond? Steve Jobs made computing fun and easy for the average non-techie consumer. For sex robots, a new Jobs will do the same.
46   Rin   ignore (3)   2018 Aug 22, 4:08pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says
what did you think of this video from TGS 2018 in Japan?

Yup, it's looking good! Imagine what they'd be like come 2028?
47   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (35)   2018 Aug 22, 5:14pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says
APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
1981 Olds Cutless.

AF, someone might have sold you an imitation Cutlass. You know what to do next.

It's real. You can tell by the billow of blue smoke that oozes through the firewall.
48   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 22, 5:19pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
curious2 says
APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
1981 Olds Cutless.

AF, someone might have sold you an imitation Cutlass. You know what to do next.

OK, but why the misspelling of Cutlass and, for that matter, Shostakovich? Are you trying to hide your towering intellect from the zombies who want to feast on your oversized brain? Or is this part of the disinformation campaign to fool the Google?

« First    « Previous    Comments 9 - 48 of 48    Last »