1   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 28, 11:41am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Those Bank ATMs in those huge parking lots that have the ATM in the back of the bank. After every business is closed, you may be the only person on the whole property.
Not the kind of place I want to be with my ATM card at 1am or 6pm for that matter.
I never take out money. If you're cash only place then I probably wouldn't want do business with your cheap ass.
For small amounts of petty cash, I'll get cash back. If there is a real need to get money from an ATM, I never go to those banks that have the ATM in the back of the building private and secure for the robbing thug killers to have their way with you. I'll pay the extra few dollars to withdraw from an ATM that I don't have to worry about my safety.
2   HEYYOU   ignore (17)   2018 Mar 28, 12:34pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

No ATM
No Debit
Yes credit cards.
Cash,Cash,Cash
Worried about carrying cash,place it in a condom & stick it up your anus.
Bet highway robbers never look there.
3   BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 7:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The video is chilling. How someone can have so little regard for human life is terrifying.
4   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (4)   2018 Mar 28, 7:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

In LA County most police stations have atms
5   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 28, 8:02pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

..."Suddenly, Steve turns to see the teenage gunman, a pistol in his right hand. Steve drops the cash on the ground. The robber reaches down. Steve suddenly lunges at the man. The sound of the gunshot is not heard; the video has no audio. But as the gunman runs off, Steve clutches his left chest right below the breast, his gray T-shirt now wet with blood. He runs to his mother’s van and collapses on the ground, mortally wounded."

Steve's first problem (since he lives in Florida) was that he wasn't CCW, which is easy to get in that state. He learned a few good lesson, which sadly cost him his life:

1) Never bring cash to a gunfight, a handgun works better.

2) When SECONDS count, police are only MINUTES away.

@strategist - take note, police WON'T save you or protect you.

BayArea says

Yep, just remember, if we just had "common sense gun laws" in Florida (on top of the 20,0000 that already exist), these criminals would obey them, right?
6   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 28, 8:05pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And a picture of the fine, outstanding criminal...

If Obama had a son....

7   BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 8:16pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper, do you know what happens if the following scenario took place in Florida, NJ, and CA?

Suspect, with gun drawn, approaches and confronts ATM user. Cash drops on the ground. Suspect picks up cash all while still pointing the gun at the ATM user.

As soon as the suspect turns, the ATM user who has a CCW, pulls out a gun and shoots the suspect in the back as he is taking his first step away from the ATM user. All is caught on tape.

From a legal point of view, what happens?
8   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 28, 8:27pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says

First, the person in NJ (and probably in CA) would get killed by the suspect because it's virtually impossible to get a CCW in that communist state. Residents are totally defenseless on the streets.

BayArea says

Your sequence is off. The first thing the ATM user didn't do is look around and be aware of his surroundings when at the ATM. First BIG mistake.

As soon as the criminal bends down to pick up the money, the TRAINED CCW ATM user pulls his gun and shoots the perp in the face before the perp gets a round off. The camera catches the perp with his gun out, proving it's a good self defense shoot.

In your scenario, that CCW user shouldn't be carrying, as he's not prepared to defend himself if he has to shoot the perp in the back.
9   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 8:30pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

In all sincerity, what is called "racism" in the press is simply a very well justified fear of black violence.

At a mere glance, when you see a black guy behind you, you now know for a fact that you're about 25 times more likely to be assaulted than if it were a white guy behind you. Most black people will not kill you, but when you suspect your life is in danger you don't really care about that. You care about the fact that your risk of being assaulted just went up twenty-five fold.

People will continue to use the obvious facts to protect their lives, no matter how many times NPR calls them racist.

10   BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 8:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper says

You can get a CCW in CA, just not in the big metro regions.

So in my scenario, is the ATM user a murderer?
11   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 28, 8:34pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says
You can get a CCW in CA, just not in the big metro regions.

Exactly my point, what does a ATM user do in LA or SF? He gets robbed (or worse).

BayArea says
So in my scenario, is the ATM user a murderer?

I already answered that:

Sniper says
12   BayArea   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 9:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick, any way to get the poster with higher resolution? I can only read about 50% or so.
13   marcus   ignore (4)   2018 Mar 28, 9:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Being aware of those statistics isn't racist. And nobody on NPR ever said that it is.

But acting like everyone is trying to deny those statistical facts, simply becasue they don't see benefits to to generalizing about African Americans from those stats, that possibly is racist.

This reminds me of the Islamic terrorism issue. Not wanting to denounce Islam, is not the same as refusing to acknowledge that Islamists and radical terroism doesn't sometimes come from fundamentalist Islam.

There are bigger questions of what attitudes do the most good in nudging things in a positive direction for the long term future. Which is I guess a different question than whats best in the immediate future for me and the my self interest and that of my my family. Although we probably disagree about that as well. I mostly am just open to the question. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to have the answer such big questions - so I'm more cautious about not choosing the wrong answer.

I definitely involve my emotions less. These issues aren't trigger issues for me, but people who are so sure of answers without ever addressing the consequences of the perspective they advocate, does illicit a tendency in me to play devil's advocate.
14   just_dregalicious   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 28, 9:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says
You can get a CCW in CA, just not in the big metro regions.

So in my scenario, is the ATM user a murderer?

No kidding? So can someone in a metro area drive out to the boonies to pick one up?

I know in San Diego county our sheriff doesn't give them out.
15   mmmarvel   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 29, 5:53am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Well, just as I limit myself on what I keep and put (and use) on my phone - I DON'T use ATM's. Last time I used an ATM was over 8 years ago. I use credit cards (haven't paid a dime of interest in 8 years) or cash. Also doesn't hurt that I live in Texas where you can count on the fact that about every other person is carrying.
16   BlueSardine   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 29, 6:05am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Nobody addressed your scenerio. Probably too much work to research the law in all those states to determine the answer.
But generally speaking, I think if the perp has his back turned and is leaving, your life is not in immediate danger anymore, so you will be charged with something...

BayArea says
So in my scenario, is the ATM user a murderer?
17   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 29, 7:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mmmarvel says

So, I would guess that ATM robberies are rare?

The Housing Trap